Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Milk Mile

This one is pretty nasty; so heads up. Okay, so Thompson Valley High School (another school in a nearby city) has an event twice a year at their track called the “Milk Mile”. Already sounds gross, doesn’t it? Every person has to drink a half gallon of whole chocolate milk and run a mile. Sounds easy. No, it isn’t! The rules are as follows: No cheating (Pouring milk out, running 3 laps, etc…), you must keep your carton at the starting line, and you must drink all of your milk before the final lap. Easy rules to follow. So today at 6:45 pm a few friends from the Cross Country team at FCHS and I start the race. A few people start off without drinking any milk, some drink some milk, and then there’s me, I drank it all before I started. I finished the carton as the guys who were finishing their first lap were coming in. I ran and made it about ten steps before I threw up, then another 20 steps, and so on. My first lap was just under 6 minutes (including the milk drinking time). I had already thrown up about a ¼ gallon of chocolate milk at this point. My final time was 9 minutes 7 seconds. I got second on my team by 13 seconds. The top girl ran a 10:18. The top guy ran a 6:17; yes, that’s crazy! 2nd through 6th place ran in the high 7 minutes to high 8 minutes. I got 7th overall, not too bad. This is going to sound ridiculous, but I had a lot of fun with the guys, and the pretty good fan turn out, who were there. I suggest it to any high schoolers (who don’t mind throwing up chocolate milk) in the Ft. Collins, Loveland, Windsor areas to go to this, it’s a fun experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment